Friday, February 7, 2014

February

They say that February is the longest month of the year. Which makes no sense mathematically; the month is 28 days long, while every other month is 30 or 31 days. 

I suppose it's because February is that funny month where the end of winter is nowhere in sight, and the end of the school year seems so far away. 

I thought February wouldn't be too bad. Our school calendar only has 1 five-day school week in February, due to President's Day and some furlough days. And once February is over, it's March, which is so close to Spring Break! So I really was happy about the month of February. 

And then February hit. Hard. My darling students, who had miraculously grown up and matured over Winter Break, lost their minds. I suddenly started wondering if there was a way to legally break my contract and go back to subbing. My fellow teachers told me no one is allowed to quit in February because it's a crazy month. Our hallway mantra this last week has been "is it June yet?" 

Then, yesterday, we had early dismissal due to the Winter Storm warnings issued for the Metro area. I drove home amid flurries, and hoped for a snow day today. Sure enough, every school in the Metro area is closed today. Admittedly, our two-five inches of snow is nothing compared to what some places in the country are going through, but it seems like a big deal to us. 

Looking out my living room window at the snowflakes and enjoying the coziness of my blanket, couch and fireplace makes me happy. 

I still wish it was June, though. Like, the third week of June. 

- Ms. J 

No comments:

Post a Comment