Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Title 1 Reading, 4/12-4/13

I subbed for a title 1 reading teacher Thursday and Friday. It was a great experience, and I enjoyed working with those super sweet kids, and the great IAs. I usually don't get a chance to sit down with small groups and work with individuals like I did, so it was a welcome change from the slightly chaotic 30+ student classrooms I usually sub in.

Friday was interesting, since it seemed to be national sassy day. I had a small group of kindergarteners. I instructed a girl to do something, to which she replied, "I know! My brain knows EVERYTHING!" another girl says "oh yeah?? Then what's 30+30?" (obviously an impossibly hard math question to a kinder). The first girl promptly responded "101!"

My last group of the day was sixth graders. On Thursday, several of them had not filled out their reading logs, and I told them if they brought them in on Friday, I would bring something special for them. I brought in candy on Friday, and they all brought in completed reading logs.
At the end of the group time, one of the boys asked "Ms. J, will you be here on Monday?" I said, "No. Will you miss me?"
He said, "I'll miss your candy!"

I love sixth graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment