Tuesday, March 5, 2013

3rd, 3/4

Yesterday I volunteered in a 3rd grade classroom. Volunteering is a great way to drum up business - teachers see you in the building and they think "oh yeah, I need a sub for next week," and since they see you, a lot of times they'll ask you.

Anyway. I was helping some 3rd graders look up information for their research papers on animals. I was tasked with helping kids whose animal wasn't found on Wikipedia. We were using World Books. This little boy was searching for "Gibbons Gail Snake" which I have never heard of. We searched everywhere. Finally, he pulled out the library book where he had found the name. He pointed it out to me. It was in the index under "more things you can read" (or something like that).

Here's what it looked like.

Gibbons, Gail. Snakes. Scholastic. 2009.

It wasn't the name of a snake! It was the author's name and the book she wrote! I was proud of myself that I didn't laugh out loud. Of course, it would have been funnier if I hadn't spent 20 minutes looking for it... But hey!

-Mrs. Teacher (as a 5th grader called me today)

No comments:

Post a Comment