Wednesday, August 7, 2013

VBS

So, I am not QUITE sure what I was thinking when I agreed to do VBS at my church this summer...

Those kids are crazy! We have ages 3-12, and it's insane. The older kids spent a couple hours building a fort out of duct tape and cardboard today, and two 4-year-olds destroyed it in less than 5 minutes. Ah, life! They are definitely entertaining, and they keep my team of adult and teenage teachers on their toes!

Our theme is the Fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance). One cutie was trying to read the verse, and read the word goodness as "God's Knees." My teenage helpers died laughing. It was super cute.

That theme has been great, though - when my little ones get out of control, I say, "You need to work on temperance," and they say, "Self-control!" (so far no one has mentioned how I need to work on longsuffering... haha)

One little one found a bug, and was fascinated with it. Some of the older kids tried to squish it, to which a little girl cried out, "It's nature! Nature has to live or else it won't grow!"

One kid told us that at another VBS, he learned about "Jesus the Dragon Slayer." He also informed me that Jonah lived in a tent.

One little girl can't figure out all our names, so she just calls all us ladies, "Mrs." It's an effective way to getting all our attention at once, I suppose.

My teenage helpers have been so awesome - it's amazing how much influence they have on younger kids! I also have some wonderful adults that are really doing great stuff with the kids! They even took over for me this morning so I could go to an interview (yeah, I had one - first one this summer!)

I still think I was crazy to say I would do it, though.

~Ms. J (Or "Mrs." according to that little girl)




1 comment: